Wednesday 28 January 2009

Tommy

Scottish winner of Orange act unsigned, Tommy Reilly took time out of his busy schedule to talk to us here at Beep!
Tommy is a solo act who wowed the judges throughout the whole of channel fours competition to find the best unsigned act in the UK. listen to his music at www.myspace.com/tommyreillymusic





How did you get into music?

My parents sent me to lessons.
If I liked it I could keep going but if I hated it I could stop. I was pretty into it and so yeh....that's it really.


Who are your main influences?

I'm into a lot of stuff. I'm a big dylan fan. I like a lot of scottish stuff at the moment. However, anything really I listen to loads of stuff. Anything I can get my hands on. I love movie scores lol.

How does it feel to win orange act unsigned?

It feels awesome!! I've never been happier! I've got a big grin on all the time. I get to make a record now!!!!!!

How did it feel to have the judges close to tears at various points in the competition?

Were they??? I didn't really see much, there was confetti everywhere. Also my friend pulled me into the crowd. I can't remember all of it. Pretty amazing 2 or 3 minutes.


Do you believe competitions like orange act unsigned are good for the music industry?

Yup but I'm biased. The reason I think Orange unsigned is good is that it exposes loads of different music. The final 10 bands on the tour would all make a cool record in their individual genres. Like Klaus. When Klaus makes a record it's gonna be great. Pyrelli would make a truly innovative hip-hop record and Hip Parade would make a great indie rock record!!! That's why I think it's good. I don't see a down side to getting to hear all those bands. I loved it.

you recorded your first single 'give me a call', are you happy with the final result?

Yeh. It's a different side to the song. I've had one version up on myspace for a while so I thought I'd record it a little different the second time. We recorded it in one night so there wasn't loads of time to play around. I'm pretty chuffed with it personally. I hope you enjoy it if you hear it.

what are your plans for the rest of 2009?

I'm gonna make an album. Also I'm gonna play as many shows as possible,, anywhere people will have me. I wanna have loads of fun too and enjoy what I like doing!

what can people expect from your album ?

I'm gonna have some fun making it. There's recordings on myspace with other instruments and ideas that I've never been able to utilise properly with the right facilities so yeh I don't know if that explains anything. I guess just more of what's been played on the show. I'm writing more songs than ever so hopefully the album will be quite a nice balance of new and old songs. I don't wanna be safe and just record all the old stuff. Is that helpful??? I don't know if that gives you an idea..........hehehe. Hope you enjoy it when it's done.
Thanks very much also to anyone who voted. Hope you like the single if you hear it.