Sunday 11 January 2009

Laasst Night [my birthday]


Firstly I would like to thank everyone who came to the 1in12 for the second disco!plastique night. It was a good night and i enjoyed everything about it... well except Jamie Hutchinson is a cock and i had to mop up some sick.. euw.

Here is a review kindly provided by Jordan Sexboss Saxby. Have a read;



10th January 1in12 Discoplastique NightFirst on this night were the zoo, a three piece that made a professional first impression with a clean cut sound and no messing about between songs. The lead singer has a nice voice, which suits the music they’re playing, however the music they are playing is nothing special. Don’t get me wrong, I would happily watch them again, but I would defiantly not be searching for them. The inclusion of an arctic monkeys cover was the last nail in the coffin for my opinion of this band, as it proved they’re just following the safe and boring formula of simple chord structures, indie shirts, breast guitars 1 and repetitive choruses to create a very bland musical experience.
The next band (after the presentation of the birthday cake for Lucas the promoter) were The Frenetics, and they played the best I have ever seen them. They take the formula I was just moaning about The Zoo using, and create something new with it. These boys are adventurous within their indie boundaries and aren’t afraid to try something new, the product of this is a well produced sound, brilliant stage presence, the ability to pull off two covers other bands would struggle to make even acceptable for human hearing and a feeling this band are making the music they enjoy. By the end of the set I was defiantly a fan of this brilliant band.
The night then got even better, and here was me thinking that no one would be able to beat the frenetic set this night. But the four piece sweet madness that is Just Handshakes We’re British (which is an amazing name!) blew me away. These three boys and a girl are truly inspired. They created a purely original, gorgeously cute sound. The use of both a tambourine as a drum stick and the little keyboard created the feeling I was listening to something new. The word twinkly was used at one point, and this probably sums up this band in a word. Me, of course being 6 years old inside, was very excited by the end of this band *smiles* and came away glowing. It was a pity the large crowd of people The Frenetics drew in didn’t stick around to see them.
The headliners, Lego Castles, instantly grabbed my attention as they were setting up as they were packing an extra floor tom and a glockenspiel. This theme of cool extra instruments was pretty much continued on throughout the amazingly energetic set (and if you ever see me play music live, you know they must be energetic for me to pick up on it!). However, I was let down by this band as they were VERY reminiscent of Los Campasinos and I like to go out and see bands make something new, not something I’ve seen before. This created what seemed to me a fake undertone to this band which kept me from appreciating them completely. It was fun, interesting to watch, and nice to listen to, but rather low in terms of originality.
Overall this night was mixed bag, with lots of brilliance, but a few moments of boredom. But, taking everything into account, this was a truly enjoyable night by a very professional and dedicated promoter. I look forward to going to more Disco Plastique gigs I the future.Have fun,Jordan